Burnaby First Aid Kit Requirements
November 21 First Aid Supplies
Understanding the first aid kit requirements for Burnaby workplaces will help ensure that you have enough safety supplies onsite in the event of an accident. At EFAS, we understand how important it is to provide employees with a safe and functional workspace. That is why we offer a range of mobile safety supplies for first aid kits.
Federal First Aid Kits and Supplies
Employers must meet the minimum requirements specified by federal regulations to ensure that their worksite has the equipment and supplies needed to provide first aid care in the event of an accident or injury in the workplace. While first aid supplies in Burnaby workplaces vary depending on the number of employees at the worksite, all first aid kits must meet or exceed federal first aid kit requirements.
In order to fully understand and identify potential hazards in the workplace, a Burnaby employer should perform a site-specific hazard assessment before choosing a first aid kit that will meet both federal requirements and the needs of workers.
The different types of first aid kits that can be used in the workplace are:
- Type A first aid kit—covers two to five employees
- Type B first aid kit—covers six or more employees and is designed for workplaces less than two hours from a medical facility
- Type C first aid kit—covers six or more employees and is designed for workplaces that are more than two hours travel from a medical facility.
- Type D first aid kit—covers one to three employees travelling in a small vehicle
Required First Aid Kit Requirements
While the amount of supplies contained in a first aid kit will vary depending on the number of employees working onsite, most first aid kits used in Burnaby workplaces will contain the following items:
- Emergency telephone number for EMS/911 and poison control
- Sterile gauze pads in small and large squares to place over wounds
- Adhesive tape
- Roller and triangular bandages to hold dressings in place or to make a sling
- Adhesive bandages in assorted sizes
- Safety pins
- Instant ice packs
- Disposable non-latex gloves
- Flashlight and spare batteries
- Antiseptic wipes or soap
- Pencil and paper
- Emergency blanket
- Barrier devices (pocket mask or face shield)
If you would like to learn more about first aid kit requirements for Burnaby workplaces, or if you are interested in our mobile safety supply services for first aid kits, please contact EFAS at 604-294-EFAS or toll free at 1-833-294-EFAS or by filling out a contact form on our website.