How to Properly Read a Fire Extinguisher Tag
The fire extinguisher tag is where you will find everything you need to know about the extinguisher, including the serial number, model number, and other identifying information. In some cases, a fire extinguisher may have multiple tags, including one that notes the fire extinguisher’s status and another that lists the expiration date. All information on these tags is essential for properly maintaining the efficiency of the fire extinguisher, so it is important that they are only removed or marked by someone who is authorized to do so.
A fire extinguisher’s status tag provides all of the essential information about the equipment, including:
- Who inspected the fire extinguisher last and the date it was inspected
- The type of chemical inside the extinguisher
- Whether or not the extinguisher has an adequate charge and is ready for use
- The active status of the fire extinguisher (serviced, new, or recharged)
Fire Extinguisher Class
On the tag, you will also find the fire extinguisher class, which identifies the types of fire the extinguisher is able to put out.
- Class A—Suitable for putting out common combustibles, including wood, paper, cloth, rubber, and several types of plastics.
- Class B—Able to help dissolve fires caused by most flammable liquids, such as alcohol and gasoline.
- Class C—Able to put out fires caused by energized electrical equipment.
- Class D—Suitable for combating fires related to combustible metals.
- Class K—Suitable for putting our cooking oil-based fires.
- Combination classes—Designed to put out a variety of different fires, depending on the classes listed.
Since different classes of fire extinguishers contain different substances, depending on their classifications, understanding the limitations and intended uses of each fire extinguisher is critical for putting out fires quickly and safely, while avoiding accelerating the spread.
If you would like to learn more about how to read fire extinguisher tags, or if you are interested in our fire protection services and products, please contact EFAS at 604-294-EFAS or toll free at 1-833-294-EFAS or by filling out a contact form on our website.